- 1 1/2 kilo pata or 1/2 pork leg
- 1 bundle bokchoy leaves
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 to 8 Shitaake Mushrooms
- 2 star anise
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 900 ml pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 3 tbsp water
- whole pepper corns
- water enough to cover the meat
- 1 tbsp salt
- In big pot, place pork leg. Add water enough to cover the meat and bring to boil. Discard the first boil.
- Saute garlic and onions. Add pork and just brown each side. Put back the meat in a pot and pour in pineapple juice, soy sauce, sugar, salt,bay leaves, pepper corns, star anise, shitaake mushrooms and water. Add enough water to cover the meat.
- Simmer over low heat approximately 2-4 hours or until meat is tender and falling off the bone. Pressure cooker might take 1 hour only. Flip pata to every half an hour to avoid sticking on the pot and add more water if necessary.
- When meat is tender and the liquid is reduced, remove pata from the pot and set aside. Keep at least 2 cups of sauce.
- Pour in diluted cornstarch in the sauce and continuously stirring over medium heat until sauce thickens.
- When sauce thickens, place bokchoy leaves in. Let leaves soak for a few minutes until they become soft. Turn off heat.
- On a platter, place in pata tim and pour the sauce over. Arrange vegetables on the side.